Log in

No account? Create an account

October 2009
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Feather [userpic]
This is too weird

Okay. So, I'm going to be done with this assignment in two weeks, and let me tell you, it can't come soon enough. I'm ready for a break! There has been some seriously weird shit going on. One thing I've learned-- never NEVER stay in a place more than six months. After that it seems that they start thinking of me as an indentured servant perm-type person, and that's why I'm not one. I don't like being treated like that.

My mom turns 65 this year. Her birthday is the day before Christmas. I haven't been home for the holidays for 7 years, so I decided this year is the year. The only thing is, It'll be hard to find a job that lets me work a month, then take two weeks off. So, I've pretty much figured I won't be working again until next year. I've got about 6 months living expenses saved up, so that's fine.

I've also had a hankering to go scuba diving. The only problem is, I really don't want to go alone, not to mention the fact that I *can't* go diving alone. I've been browsing online, thinking that maybe I'd fly down to the Bahamas for a week and take an advanced certification class or something. That way I'll be able to dive with a dive master. It's pretty much been idle looking, but I'd love to go someplace warm and island-y.

Yesterday my sister called. A friend of hers had planned a dive trip to Fiji with a friend. Now she can't go. She called my sister and asked if I'd like to go instead. O.O

I'd be going with a woman I don't know, so I'd have to check that out. Plus, the cost is pretty high-- about a month and a half living expenses.

But, it's two weeks in Fiji!

Two weeks.


So, I'm looking at my last day of work, then flying down to Dallas for a few days to see my sis and nephews, then back here for a few weeks, then off to Fiji, then back here for a few weeks, then off to Colorado to see my parents.

And the weirdest part? I called my mom and she told me to go for it. *blinks*

I don't know! The economy sucks! What if I don't get another job in January?! Of course, I could always find a "permanent" position somewhere, but still, is it worth the risk? ::gnaws knuckles::

Current Mood: anxiousanxious

I am so jealous of you.



I'm still trying to decide, but I'm leaning that way. :D

Go for it!

God. I think I'm going to. ::facepalm:: *g*

(no subject) - (Anonymous)

I KNOW!! And I've always wanted to go there! I'm definitely leaning that way. :D

Honestly, take the bull by the horns and run with it. This may be the chance of a lifetime, and if you don't, you'll end up regretting it and being disgusted with yourself later.

You're right. Fiji has always been on my list of Places To See. If the dive buddy pans out, I'll probably do it. :D

Oh sweetie, go for it! It sounds like a fabulous opportunity.
Assuming the woman is a good dive buddy. Definitely check out that aspect of it.

And I'm sure you'll find another job in January. When the economy gets bad, temps are the employee of choice.

I'm definitely going to make sure she's a good dive buddy, but if it all pans out, I think I'm going to do it. Fiji is on my list of Places I Want to See.

It's a little early yet, but, umm, I've already bought another swim suit, so I think I'm definitely leaning that way. *g*

The job thing is worrisome, but I'm in a high demand field. And really, things usually work out. Thank you for the encouragement!

BTW, how is the condo thing going? I've been wondering. You should be moving in soon, right?

Of course the job thing will work out. ::nods::

We're closing on the condo on Nov 9th, so we still have some time yet. I've been busily fretting over everything. And now I have a job interview! Yay! It's a research admin position at the university I postdoc'd at. My husband works there, and my best friend in the world works there (different departments) and I'd really like to work there too. That's some serious job security, which is what I need right now. And it would be more money. So I have my fingers crossed that a) it will be the kind of job I want and b) that they'll want me. Eeee!

I'd be fretting too. It's my nature. *g*

I;m so exited for you about the job! It sounds perfect! I know you've periodically looked around for something new. I've got my fingers crossed for you! ::hugs you::

Go for it!

And YAY for being home for your mom's birthday and Christmas!

I still don't have the Fiji info! ::scowls:: I'm excited about it, though. *g*

I'm glad I'll be home for Christmas! It'll be a very nice change. :)

Goodness! Fiji! Go for it and don't look back. Next year is sooner than you think so looking for a new job now won't hurt. Take it and run. Er, swim.

I'm hoping the Fiji thing works out! ::fingers crossed:: If it all seems straight-up, I'm going for it. It's the chance of a lifetime.

Plus, I've already bought another swim suit. *g*

I understand about looking at the money and weighing a month of living expenses in a crap economy against two weeks in Fiji but I think this is one of those things you'll regret if you don't do.

Because dude, Fiji! And a dive trip, which you wanted to do anyway! In FIJI!

Go for it!

The money is concerning, because it's such a *luxury* thing! I certainly don't need the trip.

But I want it.

And you're right. If I don't do it I'll be kicking myself. It's looking like I'm going to be getting a tan in November. :D

It's FIJI! I say go for it if the girl checks out. Coming up at just this time is destiny :-) And if you're in a high demand field then the job thing shouldn't be too big a problem {{{{hugs}}}}

It's like it Was Meant To Be. *g* At least I hope so. I still don't have the trip details, but I'm definitely leaning that way.

God! Fiji!!!!!!! *bounces*

You know what they say about opportunity and knocking. You'll have no problem getting more work; I have confidence in you!

Sheesh, I'm surrounded by jet-setters!

I've been thinking about the knocking thing too! I've been wanting to do something like this, although not quite as extravagant, and then I get this phone call. . .

I'm thinking it will all work out. I still don't have the trip details, but I did call the kennel, thinking NO WAY would they have spots open over the Thanksgiving holiday, and they do. O.O

So that's another peg in the Go!Vacation board. *g*